SigZag

Fixed wing aircraft love

14 posts in this topic

In the current Exile build there is only 1 type of fixed wing aircraft (plane) and i think thats a shame, considering there are so many helicopters.

Planes are very fun to fly, but as it currently stands there is barely no use for them. For the price of 4000$ you can buy a plane, which you can only land in certain areas, you need to setup your runway and once you are landing or taking off, you are pretty much committed to do so even if you start taking fire. Planes are not faster than helicopters, can carry just as many players, make a bunch of noise, have no way of defending itself and now in arma3 they require the pilot to hit 80kmh to take off versus 60kmh in arma2 - this makes the plane almost useless and thus the reason why players will see 20 helicopters fly in game before they see 1 cessna.

The little bird, however, can easily be maneuvered to land virtually anywhere you want, it can carry just as many people as a cessna and only costs1000$ more, with this ultra competitive price, its a no brainer that the best bang for your buck is to go for a little bird over a cessna any day of the week, which just pushes the cessna even farther away from the mods gameplay - and that makes me sad.

With the new price adjustments made in the changelog, we can see that there has been no changes made in either lowering the cessnas cost or bringing up the little birds price, so we can expect to not see any cessnas flying aroundanytime soon in the upcoming patch as well.

Just curious to see what people think about this, i know many of you dont really care for planes, but i personally would think it would be nice to have a reasonable price for the cessna in comparison to the little bird and/or add a cessna with a machine gun to (m240 or something like in epoch arma2) 

Planes still remain much harder to fly versus helicopters, so i dont see them ever becoming OP in game, just adds something to spice things up.

and whatever happened to the DAR Armed Cessna...?

Anyways, thanks for reading, and have a good day!

tbh when I started arma planes were easier to fly/land than helis as theres less to break on a rough landing. Rough landing in a plane you damage the hull a little bit, in a heli a rough landing can mean a number of things. You could break the engine and be permanently grounded or bust the tail rotor and not be able to fly stably. 

Advertisement
4 hours ago, SigZag said:

Just curious to see what people think about this, i know many of you dont really care for planes, but i personally would think it would be nice to have a reasonable price for the cessna in comparison to the little bird and/or add a cessna with a machine gun to (m240 or something like in epoch arma2) 

Well, In arma 2 I think there was a variant of the An2 that had a 50 cal mounted on the front

I dont think normal planes are a usefull addition since the take off speed is too high for the vast majority of the terrain. I could see a ultra light weight plane though, which I would personally love. I dont know if someone has modded such plane yet.

Edited by z33r0

7 hours ago, z33r0 said:

I dont think normal planes are a usefull addition since the take off speed is too high for the vast majority of the terrain. I could see a ultra light weight plane though, which I would personally love. I dont know if someone has modded such plane yet.

Well, In arma 2 Im pretty sure the An2 take of speed was like 80km, which only takes roughly 100 meters, Another option would be something like an MV22 or a seaplane

sadly seaplanes don't work in multiplayer tho :(

Maybe add possibility to throw cargo off the plane, or even small IED bombs. Maybe. 50 cal also.

The price for items can be determined by server admins anyways, very easily infact.

Also there are plenty of mods around to add planes to exile and plenty of exile servers running these mods, also mods with planes that use VTOC such as the harrier which i have on my server.

Also seaplanes can work to an extent where one can be purchased and simply teleported to the water by an admin, i have got a hercules with floats working no problem, although i haven't tried modifying a boat trader yet to see if its possible to simply buy them and have them spawn in the water but i wouldn't see it being too difficult.

I loved flying the C130's on Napf. Or the F35B. Would love to see more planes in Exile.  Vtol would be nice, as take off and landing can be a pain.

He's making the point that you can't land seaplanes in the water on multiplayer servers.  Couldn't in Arma 2, can't in Arma 3.

VTOL aircraft are pretty much a must for any fixed wings to be taken seriously because storing anything at an airfield means it will be blown up - unless there are legit superlights available that can take off <100m.

Advertisement