Boxman80

Improve Exile - A Wishlist (37 Suggestions & Growing!)

211 posts in this topic

i think the revive could work well but make it more interesting/harder like for example you can only revive a player if you have a medical box/injection type thing all you have to do is make them cost say 500 each and hard to find then they wont be used as much because people wont want to lose them. also if you do it like this not every person will have them and be able to do it. also make it that if a player gets revived if you then kill them you only get say 50% or lower of the rp 

Edited by Jameson
1 person likes this

i think the revive could work well but make it more interesting/harder like for example you can only revive a player if you have a medical box/injection type thing all you have to do is make them cost say 500 each and hard to find then they wont be used as much because people wont want to lose them. also if you do it like this not every person will have them and be able to do it. also make it that if a player gets revived if you then kill them you only get say 50% or lower of the rp 

Off course everyone will have them, 500 poptabs is nothing

2 people like this

Advertisement

Love some of the ideas, but also hate all the suggestions to try and make it into a survival game. This isn't dayz SA and hope if never becomes anything like that.

Love some of the ideas, but also hate all the suggestions to try and make it into a survival game. This isn't dayz SA and hope if never becomes anything like that.

In my opinion it needs additional elements to have a wider player base. It's own introduction of a hunger/thirst meter warrants the survival elements being included and expanded. There needs to be extended and interesting ways, alternative to just scavenging/buying food and water to maintain interest in this part of the game and warrant it's inclusion otherwise why have them at all? Why not just have health?

I agree this needs to be more PvP emphasised but that shouldn't be at the cost of some of the great survival elements that made other mods great and help bring longevity to the game - again if people want purely PvP they will surely go and play games like Battlefield. To me, this is meant to add something else - a complete mix of survival PvP and intense open world combat, and for that it needs the supporting elements behind it, otherwise it just become s a slow based, tedious FPS. It won't have any unique or defining features otherwise. As I keep saying, the more people this game appeals to, the better it will be. If it just tries to be another CS or BF i will fail because  ARMA is a completely different game and it BEGS to be played more survival in such game mods. 

This also could be argued why the revive system will detract from the game play. It doesn't matter how difficult or limited you make it, its' still basically a free life in a firefight. That is totally against the grain of what makes ARMA based games interesting - one of their defining features is their all or nothing fire fights. There is genuine fear and excitement in the fire fights as there is often so much at stake in them.  Again, it's a defining part of the ARMA game and most of the successful subsequent mods. To to ignore this, or dumb it down is resigning the mod to mediocrity in my opinion.  

I don't play ARMA the same as I play BF. There again I don't play ARMA (or mods) when I just want to run and gun! Revives make things a bit safer and therefore detract from these core elements of the gameplay. As one chap already said here, just because you make revive kits expensive doest mean people wont use them - it just means you have to pay more for an essential piece of kit because you are effectively playing at a massive disadvantage if you don't have it.

What then? It just becomes an irritation of the game and a part we all find a bit tedious, can you imagine playing like that six months down the line how tiresome it will become? 

"oh wait guys before you go hit this mission, I just need to call to the traders to go buy a revive kit".

Where do you draw the line with it?

I appreciate the ideas behind it, to try and encourage PvP and make it a little more dynamic and faster paced, but the reality of how it would be used and ultimately perceived  is completely different. 

Edited by Boxman80
2 people like this

Pinned because the thread is well structured. Please keep it up like this

1 person likes this

In my opinion it needs additional elements to have a wider player base. It's own introduction of a hunger/thirst meter warrants the survival elements being included and expanded. There needs to be extended and interesting ways, alternative to just scavenging/buying food and water to maintain interest in this part of the game and warrant it's inclusion otherwise why have them at all? Why not just have health?

I agree this needs to be more PvP emphasised but that shouldn't be at the cost of some of the great survival elements that made other mods great and help bring longevity to the game - again if people want purely PvP they will surely go and play games like Battlefield. To me, this is meant to add something else - a complete mix of survival PvP and intense open world combat, and for that it needs the supporting elements behind it, otherwise it just become s a slow based, tedious FPS. It won't have any unique or defining features otherwise. As I keep saying, the more people this game appeals to, the better it will be. If it just tries to be another CS or BF i will fail because  ARMA is a completely different game and it BEGS to be played more survival in such game mods. 

This also could be argued why the revive system will detract from the game play. It doesnt matter how difficult or limited you make it, its' still basically a free life in a firefight. That to is what defines ARMA based games - fire fights are more intense because there's often more of a risk to them. I dont play ARMA the same as I play BF. Revives make things a bit safer and therefore detract from core elements of the game play. As one chap already said here, just because you make revive kits expensive doest mean people wont use them - it just means you have to pay more for an essential piece of kit because you are effectively playing at a massive disadvantage if you dont have it. Then it just becomes an irritation of the game and a part we all find a bit tedious, can you imagine playing 6 months down the line how tiresome it will become? "oh wait guys before you go hit this mission, i just need to call to the traders till i just go buy a revive kit".

I appreciate the ideas behind it, to try and encourage PvP and make it a litlt emore dynamic and faster paced, but the reality of how it would be used and ultimately perceived  is compeltely different. 

Totally agree with everything you've said in your post. Arma isnt Battlefield/cod/cs/etc. It should be a lot more tactical in what ever shape or mod you play it in. 

For exile, I feel if you bring in revives and such its turning it in to wastlelands with base building. One time revive per spawn( like epoch) I feel is a happy medium. I feel the problem with this mod is it not quite sure what it wants to be. Is it a survival mod, pve mode or pvp. I feel it can be something right in the middle. I good survival mode that puts in the right amount of pvp, with that touch of pve to keep you interested. Ive said this many times on here, or in game and on my community's forums. Exile has some much potential but just needs to find out which way it wants to go. 

3 people like this

Totally agree with everything you've said in your post. Arma isnt Battlefield/cod/cs/etc. It should be a lot more tactical in what ever shape or mod you play it in. 

For exile, I feel if you bring in revives and such its turning it in to wastlelands with base building. One time revive per spawn( like epoch) I feel is a happy medium. I feel the problem with this mod is it not quite sure what it wants to be. Is it a survival mod, pve mode or pvp. I feel it can be something right in the middle. I good survival mode that puts in the right amount of pvp, with that touch of pve to keep you interested. Ive said this many times on here, or in game and on my community's forums. Exile has some much potential but just needs to find out which way it wants to go. 

I think you've hit the nail right on the head here mate when you said it's not quite sure what it's supposed to be. I feel that whatever the devs feel the game is meant to be at the moment isn't being conveyed to the community properly, or at the very least we, the community are not pick-up what they're putting down for it!

I agree, this game needs to be somewhere in the middle of the over the top hardcore survival games that Day Z mod and game is, with more PvP geared play at it's heart. To me that means keeping all the core PvP action and amplifying it  - NOT diluting it with generic shooter elements such as revives, 100% health packs, cheap top grade kit etc. 

There needs to be balance. Survival elements and base building elements need to be there to help longevity and give players escalating goals that will ultimately make their dominance within the server easier and rewarding long term.The ultimate goal should be to become wealthy and powerful in game and obviously to maintain that. Ultimately those goals are only going to be sustained (or challenged) by players/groups accumulating currency. Everything should cost. Survival elements introduce more ways to save or make money as well as survive and sustain your wealth, particularly early game. 

While I agree this ISNT Day Z (and shouldnt be - NO zombies!!!)  or any other survival mod and probably doesn't need to worry it's self with too many complicated survival methods or contrived ways in what ultimately is going to be a short part of a players'  long term survival story.  However, basic survival is needed and obviously is still the foundation layer of the base building module. Things like some form of hunting/fishing, cooking, basic storage and fire building are all foundation features of every servers' multiple tiers of players (The layer cake!).

These foundation elements are there for newbies, fresh spawns, lone wolves, smaller groups etc. who perhaps exist in remote areas to the map, accruing their survival gear and saving cash, perhaps avoiding some of the early conflicts with better prepared enemies in order to progress to the next tier of survival which is then basic base building and fortification. The first steps everyone takes on every Exile server.

For me Exile should be about your first steps in the 'bad lands' ruled by players and gradually climbing though each tier of this complex community to become the most rich and powerful player/group on the map, naturally through lots of killing and stealing (and whatever else!).

At the opposite end of this arc are the players who have climbed through this and made it to the top, earming lots of money and respect, acquiring powerful tools and vehicles and perhaps building a powerful gang/clan with a "safe" base. However their struggle is then about  being able to expand or even maintain their clan's respect, territory and power base, which in turn ultimately needs lots more currency -  in the form of keeping their clan/group/gang equipped with the best military grade kit, struggle to control their territory from other groups etc etc. Once you start to hit the big time things need to be very costly and require groups to keep on working hard and playing against other group to earn that money to keep them in power, not just sitting on all the best equipment, gear, bases and having no need for money/gear.   Thats where more thought needs to be put in and probably where the clan system will be able to offer some of the more interesting ways to tackle this. 

Edited by Boxman80
2 people like this

Think you've summed it up there perfect. The game is lacking some sort of balance. Its too easy to die and then within 10 minutes be running about with your full gillie, lynxx and everything cos you spawned close to a trader and can buy it all.

For me, you need to have something to work towards in this style of a game. Goals you need to achieve to keep you coming back. Like you I think the foundations are there to build on, the balance needs to be made, like you said, so that the new players can build up and the well established players need something to work towards to keep their power.

1 person likes this

Think you've summed it up there perfect. The game is lacking some sort of balance. Its too easy to die and then within 10 minutes be running about with your full gillie, lynxx and everything cos you spawned close to a trader and can buy it all.

For me, you need to have something to work towards in this style of a game. Goals you need to achieve to keep you coming back. Like you I think the foundations are there to build on, the balance needs to be made, like you said, so that the new players can build up and the well established players need something to work towards to keep their power.

I think once more and more items start getting into the game and increasing the loot table, it will also gradually help to make gearing up a bit of a longer process which is obviously good news too. I completely agree that at present, intentional or not, it's far too quick to get geared and basically dive right in. 

This is fantastic from an action point of view, but unfortunately it doesn't give the mod any kind of life span as people will quickly tire of it and there's very little incentive to keep playing. FPS games like CoD/CS/BF do a much better job of this style of pick-up-and-play FPS gaming with their MMO ranking, unlocks, perks  and awards systems - all designed to keep players active and coming back to play the games. I don't think that's what the majority of this mod's community are here for anyway, are they?

Without being disrespectful to these types of fast paced FPS action shooters, I would think the ARMA 3/Exile community are a little more discerning and looking for something more challenging and a bit different than your run of the mill shooter. Non-linear survival is absolutely a part of that whereas gimmick systems such as revives, belong in the FPS shooter world in my opinion.  

I know I seem very anti-revive and I do appreciate it could probably be made to work OK in Exile, but I think it just opens the door to too many issues such as players accused of hacking, masking cheats, players taking silly risks - the list goes on and it's all things that are detrimental to the gameplay. In fact I'm hard pressed to see what adding revives to the game would actually bring to the game without sacrificing some core elements. I also cant see why the devs would prioritise it over the introduction of a proper medical script/system, that surely could work much better than a revive system - i.e. prioritising players staying a live rather than giving them free resurrections from the dead.

For me, having players being concious of the fact they may be dragged from a fire-fight to help STOP a player dying when he's been wounded as opposed to having a free re-entry to a battle they have already been eliminated from adds much more to the game.

Edited by Boxman80

I think once more and more items start getting into the game and increasing the loot table, it will also gradually help to make gearing up a bit of a longer process which is obviously good news too. I completely agree that at present, intentional or not, it's far too quick to get geared and basically dive right in. 

This is fantastic from an action point of view, but unfortunately it doesn't give the mod any kind of life span as people will quickly tire of it and there's very little incentive to keep playing. FPS games like CoD/CS/BF do a much better job of this style of pick-up-and-play FPS gaming with their MMO ranking, unlocks, perks  and awards systems - all designed to keep players active and coming back to play the games. I don't think that's what the majority of this mod's community are here for anyway, are they?

Without being disrespectful to these types of fast paced FPS action shooters, I would think the ARMA 3/Exile community are a little more discerning and looking for something more challenging and a bit different than your run of the mill shooter. Non-linear survival is absolutely a part of that whereas gimmick systems such as revives, belong in the FPS shooter world in my opinion.  

I know I seem very anti-revive and I do appreciate it could probably be made to work OK in Exile, but I think it just opens the door to too many issues such as players accused of hacking, masking cheats, players taking silly risks - the list goes on and it's all things that are detrimental to the gameplay. In fact I'm hard pressed to see what adding revives to the game would actually bring to the game without sacrificing some core elements. I also cant see why the devs would prioritise it over the introduction of a proper medical script/system, that surely could work much better than a revive system - i.e. prioritising players staying a live rather than giving them free resurrections from the dead.

For me, having players being concious of the fact they may be dragged from a fire-fight to help STOP a player dying when he's been wounded as opposed to having a free re-entry to a battle they have already been eliminated from adds much more to the game.

For revives I agree. It shouldn't be prioritized. What we really need is an expanded medical system. I should be able to stop the bleeding, repair broken legs with a splint or morphine, pop painkillers to alleviate the pain should I need to remain quiet in certain situations. With revive, even once per life, people would show just as little or less regard to their life/gear.

As for being able to gear up with in 10 minutes of spawning in, that's partially the community's fault for flocking to the high loot servers where the multiplier is turned up. Thus more and more server admins are going that route to try and bring in more population.

Advertisement