Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
핀들톤

Want to start a new server

11 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

I'm going to be upgrading my CPU soon from an i5 4670k to an i7 4790k.  I've also got an extra R9 270X lying around. With the extra CPU and GPU, I want to go the whole mile and just setup my own Exile server.  

Specs will be:

• CPU: i5 4670k @ 4.2Ghz
  • GPU: R9 270X 
  • RAM: GSkill Ripjaws 8GB @ 1600Mhz
  • SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 120GB

I have two questions:

First, what operating system should I try to use?  I don't want to shell out for another Windows license.  Then again, I have absolutely no experience with Linux.  Any suggestions?

Second, with the rig mentioned above, what kind of server FPS might I be expecting?

P.S. I'm thinking of setting up this server because I live in South Korea.  I have a very fast and very stable internet connection.  The main reason that I'm considering starting this server is that there are quite a few Korean players, but there is a dearth of Korean servers for whatever reason.

Anyway, thanks for the input and suggestions, it will all be appreciated.

Regards,

pindleton

Edited by 핀들톤

Windows Server should be fine, but limit your available slots to 25 players. Also make use of headless clients for your missions.

Advertisement

You should be able to run 75 players easily with that rig, with Windows, we don't really care about the GPU, as it won't be used for a dedicated server setup anyway. ArmaLogic = Utilizes CPU regardless of GPU. 

Well-formatted, structured and thought through post written clearly and concisely. I'm impressed. 

If you don't know Linux, starting it out right now is not a recommended option. You will spend too much time learning stuff that you will do in a few minutes in Windows. One important factor though is bandwidth, what's your up/download speeds? ARMA is one of the biggest bandwidth hogs I've ever known. 

Other than that, the computer will definitely perform well, add some water cooling and overclock it to squeeze even more performance out of it.

I recommend not to use linux as arma3server runs much better on windows then on linux. sad but true.

Calculate that the server could use up to 25-50mbps (it never used more for my server running 65 players).

Regards

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, Flow said:

I recommend not to use linux as arma3server runs much better on windows then on linux. sad but true.

Calculate that the server could use up to 25-50mbps (it never used more for my server running 65 players).

Regards

I've topped out at 10 mpbs when 60 have been on, but that is constant, not a peak. For sure, any kind of residental interweb service will not support that.

I don't think my internet connection will be an issue (fast Internet is super cheap in Korea, I'm spoiled in that respect). 

So it looks like I should go with Windows. Is there any particular version of Windows that performs better than another? 

Another question, do I have to purchase a second copy of Arma 3 on a second Steam account in order to host? 

Thanks,

pindleton 

Edited by 핀들톤

I was hoping to get some answers to my questions. I'm going to hold off on ordering parts until I can hear back from you guys about the OS I should go with and whether or not I need to get a second copy of Arma 3.

Thanks,

pindleton 

I've decided that I will go with Windows Server 2008 R2 Datacenter with SP1 64-bit as my OS.

Thanks for the help, guys! :)

P.S. Some here might not know, and it could be a useful tip.  You can get free Windows Product Licenses through their DreamSpark program if you have a student (*.edu) e-mail address.  I was able to get my product key through there for absolutely free.  Check it out if you are hunting for a legit key.

https://www.dreamspark.com/

Edited by 핀들톤

Advertisement