Patrix87

setTerrainGrid

9 posts in this topic

Hi,

I think this should be added as a setting to the next release : https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/setTerrainGrid

This function forces the Terrain Grid Resolution from the server side for the client side.

If not defined by the server it is forced to 25 in arma 3 maps and 50 in arma 2 maps which is very low and this will cause players to think that they are hidden while they are actually fully visible but impossible to kill since behind invisible ground from a distance. This is a very big problem in Namalsk and other arma 2 maps.

setTerrainGrid should be by default at a minimum of 12.5 and possibly even 6.25

It is currently possible to set the terrain resolution with Infistar but I still think this should be integrated by default in Exile.

Contrary to what the Bistudio wiki says, 12.5 and even 6.25 are not that hard to run for the average modern computer.

Thanks.

2 people like this

I endorse this.

Zero aussie servers are running a decent terrain grid setting, floating rocks on hills at 800m is ridiculous.

Edited by Taylor Swift (Mezo)
Naming and shaming in a post ;)

Advertisement

I can confirm that the Terrain Grid setting has minimal framerate impact. I can play Arma 3 on my Intel chip on my MSI laptop with it at Ultra and only lose a single frame every second.

16 minutes ago, Rexhunter99 said:

I can confirm that the Terrain Grid setting has minimal framerate impact. I can play Arma 3 on my Intel chip on my MSI laptop with it at Ultra and only lose a single frame every second.

It definitely has an impact on server performance. However, as the OP stated the wiki is old and these days on better servers the values can be adjusted just fine with minimal loss.

2 people like this

2 minutes ago, John said:

It definitely has an impact on server performance. However, as the OP stated the wiki is old and these days on better servers the values can be adjusted just fine with minimal loss.

So if the servers can handle it and the clients can handle it on weak hardware, it's a good idea to implement it directly into Exile, atleast as a default minimum that can be easily be changed, right?

3 minutes ago, Rexhunter99 said:

So if the servers can handle it and the clients can handle it on weak hardware, it's a good idea to implement it directly into Exile, atleast as a default minimum that can be easily be changed, right?

Its all about balance, the silly thing is it is VERY easy for a server admin/ host to adjust this with very basic knowledge, so the questions needs to be asked should the exile devs need to put it in? An argument could be made that server owners should know thus should do.. but they don't so here we are.

Id like to see it in the config and set to a minimum of 6.25.

But then you run into issues, where people will leave it at 6.25 but run a 2000 view distance and all sorts of other inefficient crap.

Its tough but in my mind -

setTerrainGrid 6.25 with a view distance cap of 1500m is a great balance for performance and visual fidelity.

3 people like this

On 4/1/2016 at 11:05 PM, John said:

Yes I noticed that bellow 12.5 on a Dedicated Quad core with HC the FPS drops dramatically to almost half of what it is at 12.5.

I have put this to our "nice to have" list. We will evaluate it see if it can help. 

I personally fear that our settings should be idiot-proof. So a default value of -1 would be okay. Meaning it does not change anything by default. 

Advertisement