javelin10

Another player can connect to UAV

Question

Today I found another player had taken control of my UAV. This is not possible in Vanilla A3 unless you 'disconnect the terminal' first, even if the other player is on the same side as you.

When it happened, I was able to control the turret, but could not take control of the uav itself as the other player was still in the 'pilot's seat'. This could prove expensive ;)

6 answers to this question

This is possible in any multiplayer scenario.  Every Exile player is on the same 'team'.  They have access to your UAV in the few seconds it takes to scroll wheel "Connect Terminal to UAV".  If they do this, the UAV will be compromised until you land it and repack it, or they do, or it gets crashed.

The UAV is also able to be connected to when you die, log out, etc.  I forget, but I think at this point any faction can steal it, when previously only your team could.  It can also be stolen if you try to run multiple UAVs as switching to different ones effectively disconnects your other UAVs.

I have given up on UAV's ever since it gets hijacked while i switch between turret and uav control and then i lose it. Earlier i used to be able to enjoy it for at least 20 minutes but these days it's hijacked within  2 minutes.

Advertisement

Sorry to hear that. Using a UAV for Recon would be helpful, but if you lose them like that it's pointless.

Well I have to admit I only tested it in the editor with 2x Nato playable soldiers, Ix terminal each and 1x UAV up in the air. Unless the first soldier disconnected his own UAV from the terminal, the other guy could not connect, meaning he could not use the turret or the controls.

Disconnecting the terminal only happens by death, by voluntary action or by removing the terminal from your item slot (I think). This is in the Editor, anyway. so when:

On 1/4/2016 at 8:23 AM, Thrash said:

This is possible in any multiplayer scenario.

Does this happen outside Exile as well? Cos if so this is an Arma bug not an exile bug and I need to report it there.

You could, but it's a known issue.  I don't think it's super high on their list of things to fix.

You shouldn't have a UAV stolen unless you die, logout, or switch to a secondary UAV, unless someone has connected to your terminal in the opening moments of assembling it.  When this happens, you'll both have 'control' and you would need to reassemble it and go from there.  This is laggy, so the people trying to steal it are given somewhat of a grace period where even if you "Connect" they will still see a free UAV in the UAV Terminal.

There are some other issues but they aren't related to people stealing the UAV, though it might seem that way.

Thanks for that. Still have to add that went it got taken over I'd had it up in the air for some time. You'd have thought if someone had been lucky enough to be looking at their terminal and connected so soon after I did they'd have started messing around with it sooner. What I experienced suggests that the window of opportunity is really quite large. Guess I'll have to do more testing in a multiplayer environment.

Advertisement