agentGoonie

[SOLVED] SQUAD URL CRASHES SERVER

Question

Posted (edited)

I have a players who squad url crashes my server.  Ever hear of this before?  Can I disable squad urls?

Edited by agentGoonie

9 answers to this question

As I remembered the fix was to block port 80/443 out going that way arma could not get the url 

2 people like this

Advertisement

Posted (edited)

This has been a problem since arma 2 which is why most servers don't allow them. It's where they've cocked up their squad.xml  

I'm not sure there is an automatic way to kick or ban someone who tries to join with one but, you might want to ban them manually for repeated offence. Also love to hear if anyone has worked out a way of kicking automatically. 

Edited by BaroN
1 person likes this

So even infinistar has no way to deal with this?  Jesus, what a bunch of garbage.  I can literally grab this guys squad.xml and crash as many servers as I want.

The only way to prevent this is to tell people not to use them and then ban them after they have crashed the server?  Wow!

Seems like something infinistar should be able to handle with my $40.

thanks

-Goonie

I've read this claim before but my A2 servers and now my Exile server has never crashed as far as I know due to a "bad" squad xml.

1 person likes this

19 hours ago, agentGoonie said:

So even infinistar has no way to deal with this?  Jesus, what a bunch of garbage.  I can literally grab this guys squad.xml and crash as many servers as I want.

The only way to prevent this is to tell people not to use them and then ban them after they have crashed the server?  Wow!

Seems like something infinistar should be able to handle with my $40.

thanks

-Goonie

Yes, I can't remember the url, but there's a website that creates the squad.xml wrong, which passes malformed data that Arma can't handle.

Squad.xml's are an integral part of the Arma engine though, infiSTAR cannot remove that function. I would suggest to look at what ports squad strings, url's and images use and block them. 

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Actually I think I found a possible fix.  Since I'm using a dedicated box and dedicated firewall I have two things I can do.  First, when the squad images are downloaded Arma places them in C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Arma 3\squads\.  Lock this directory down so that nothing can read/write to it.  I created a bogus user account that has zero access and made that the owner.  Nobody can read/write in that directory.  However, once you do that and Arma tries to write the Squad.xmls image to your squads directory it creates a temp directory which is temp#### (#### being your port) and is able to write to that directory.  Lock that directory down too, so nothing can write or read it.

The next thing I did was in both of my firewalls.  Its not 100%, but I blocked the keyword squad.xml.  It can easily be bypassed, but these users were not doing this intentionally. 

I'm already receiving numerous complaints that their squad images aren't appearing.  Works for me. If anyone else if having this issue give this a try and let me know if it works for you too.

The infinistar guy reached out to me to discuss a possible fix too.  Great guy.  Love him.

-Goonie

Edited by agentGoonie

Did itsatrap's port blocking not work for you then? 

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I also blocked every single port except for the ones I needed.  So I guess I tossed the kitchen sink at it and the issue is resolved.

Thank you everyone

-Goonie

Edited by agentGoonie

Advertisement