Retribution

Kiwi - Base Raiding explosives.. WTF?

57 posts in this topic

Thanks for the reply @Eichi. And I understand the worry about not wanting to bring in other devs as it can and does cause some issues. We just had a new person start working with us and she hasn't quite started fitting in yet...... Nevertheless, the community is here for you guys, and you guys are here for the community. Ask for help if you need it! :D

Another question, one that doesn't need an immediate reply but I think should be addressed: Will you, the Exile team, be transparent with the financials of the mobile app? I.e. is the mobile app start generating copious amount of moolah, will you tell us, and would you consider lowering the price or channeling those funds into additional efforts to make more cool stuff? I know that might be a future thought or one that might not even come to reality, however if say 2500 use the app in a month, I wonder what the cost/profit to Exile will be.

Again, thanks for the reply and not flaming me! :D

12 minutes ago, pilot538 said:

Another question, one that doesn't need an immediate reply but I think should be addressed: Will you, the Exile team, be transparent with the financials of the mobile app? I.e. is the mobile app start generating copious amount of moolah, will you tell us, and would you consider lowering the price or channeling those funds into additional efforts to make more cool stuff? I know that might be a future thought or one that might not even come to reality, however if say 2500 use the app in a month, I wonder what the cost/profit to Exile will be.

I think I have already given away more internal information than required. But how can we know? Nobody has done this before. There is nobody who can tell us. It could also very well turn out that I have to pay 500€ out of my own pocket a month. Who knows?

To be honest with you, I am thinking about just abandoning this complete project and quit Exile. Fuck all the haters, I can return the favor. I have better things to do in my life than dealing with this crap.

• Like 4

Advertisement
8 minutes ago, Eichi said:

To be honest with you, I am thinking about just abandoning this complete project and quit Exile. Fuck all the haters, I can return the favor. I have better things to do in my life than dealing with this crap.

I hope it does not come to this. Exile is such a good mod and only getting better and better with each update.

There will always be people who disagree with whats done but end of the day its YOUR mod so what YOU decided to do with it is the direction it goes in. Yes ask the community what they think etc but ultimately its your mod. If people don't like it they either get used to it, find another mod to play or make there own. Haters are going to hate regardless, if they become a problem just ban the motherfuckers and move on.

On a personal note, i wont be enabling the app on my server as then it keeps the playing field fair to those who cant afford it. It also makes you have to check your base for damage etc. Yes bombs take a while to set but unless i missed something, you don't have to set all the bombs in one restart so you can set one and do another later. Never know you might even find a damaged wall and only need 1 bomb. Its better then being able to destroy walls with a car/gun that's for sure.

11 minutes ago, Mr Health And Safety said:

On a personal note, i wont be enabling the app on my server as then it keeps the playing field fair to those who cant afford it

I was also thinking about a "pay what you want" scheme. Or some crowd funding or whatever. But I doubt it will work.

13 minutes ago, Eichi said:

I was also thinking about a "pay what you want" scheme. Or some crowd funding or whatever. But I doubt it will work.

You need to make sure you cover your pocket so that you are not left with big € left to pay each month. The trouble with "pay what you want" you will have a lot of people not paying anything, some who pay less then the full price, less who pay the full price and one or two who pay more.

I don't know how it would work, but what about a second version of the app? a premium version (what your working on) and a free version that is more basic and just tells you when a wall has been destroyed on your base. This keeps it fair for those who cant afford the app but also gives the raiders a little time to raid before the owner logs in due to only having the basic app.

Also for the love of god, put adverts in the app to help pay for it. Nothing to annoying, maybe a banner at top or bottom of the screen. no pop ups lol.

18 minutes ago, Eichi said:

You could try it out, because if the community want something then its that this app is also free. 
So its a big reason for them to donate and if it wont work you could use the old system again.

16 minutes ago, Mr Health And Safety said:

put adverts in the app to help pay for it

Ads only help if people see and click/tap on them. It does not work for this type of app. You may only open it a couple of times in a month. Per click you get like what? $0.0007 or something. That does not work.

16 minutes ago, Mr Health And Safety said:

This keeps it fair for those who cant afford the app

If you cannot afford €2.49 then I don't know. A bubble gum package costs more here :( 

11 minutes ago, Xanto said:

because if the community want something then its that this app is also free

Of course people want shit for free... I also want that the play store is free for me. I also want that I don't have to pay taxes. I also want that I don't have to deal with value added taxes, law regulations, tax consultants, financial departments and tax declarations. I also want to get an iPhone for free, so we can develop an iOS version. And our servers, oh please, send me a 0€ invoice. I also want Arma 3 to be free. And APEX. And I would like to sub some Twitchers for free. And my energy cost. Free, please. Teamspeak license, forum licences, textures, image material and so much more. I want that for free!

Regardless to mention that the psychotherapy I need after all this should be free, too.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Eichi said:

Ads only help if people see and click/tap on them. It does not work for this type of app. You may only open it a couple of times in a month. Per click you get like what? $0.0007 or something. That does not work.

If you cannot afford €2.49 then I don't know. A bubble gum package costs more here :( 

Can you not get ads for expressions? I know they still wouldn't be shown that often but it all adds up with the amount of players that would see them etc.

I know €2.49 is not a lot but you need to remember a lot of kids will play Exile and there is a good chance there parents wont let them buy it etc. Also I am currently unemployed so €2.49 is a lot :( and before anyone says it, no i'm not hosting a server at the moment, just working on one locally. 

Ads only work if you can get the user to see them. And then you need millions of users. Our notifications are visible outside of our app, so most people will not even open it. That means we would have to make the user experience worse just for ads. 

And then you get an average CPM of about 8 cents. And only if the user sees them for at least a second. In the unrealistic scenario everyone would see an ad, it mean we would have to deliver 1000 messages to get 8 cents. Needless to say you can just install an adblocker to remove them.

Ads work for apps that have a user interface that you see for a longer time, like games. But for this type of service, it does not work.

But yeah, even if we would put ads on this app, people would complain. "This app is full of ad shit, blah". "The Exile team is getting rich with ads, blah." I can already see myself bathing in 21 cents a month like Scrooge McDuck :D 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Eichi said:

Ads only work if you can get the user to see them. And then you need millions of users. Our notifications are visible outside of our app, so most people will not even open it. That means we would have to make the user experience worse just for ads. 

And then you get an average CPM of about 8 cents. And only if the user sees them for at least a second. In the unrealistic scenario everyone would see an ad, it mean we would have to deliver 1000 messages to get 8 cents. Needless to say you can just install an adblocker to remove them.

Ads work for apps that have a user interface that you see for a longer time, like games. But for this type of service, it does not work.

But yeah, even if we would put ads on this app, people would complain. "This app is full of ad shit, blah". "The Exile team is getting rich with ads, blah." I can already see myself bathing in 21 cents a month like Scrooge McDuck :D 

ok fair points lol. Was just an idea but oh well :)

Advertisement