BetterDeadThanZed

Bring back the lobby

36 posts in this topic

36 minutes ago, BetterDeadThanZed said:

And you know this is not going to happen,  how exactly? 

It's called being good friends with the developers of Exile and understanding the direction that they wanted to take this mod. ;) 

• Like 2

Because a few splash screens replacing the lobby really affects the "direction" they want to take the mod?

Of course I'm not demanding the devs do anything (though it would be nice), and maybe something is there that I don't see, but I find it hard to believe that adding/removing a splash screen would seriously (or at all) alter the "direction" of the mod.

• Like 2

Advertisement
8 hours ago, malbogia said:

you do this by setting skiplobby = 1 to skiplobby = 0 in the description.ext

Doing that will break exile. I believe it actually says that in the file to adjust that setting lol. 

9 hours ago, BetterDeadThanZed said:

I would love to see the return of the lobby for several reasons:

1. Not having the lobby has been suggested as the reason for so many memory crashes since 0.9.8 (When the lobby was removed).
2. It gives you a place to escape to when you have to leave the computer for a moment (To use the restroom, get a drink, etc).
3. When switching from admin mode to player mode with Infistar, you don't have to log back into the server because you'd be sent to the lobby.

I like the lobby too but its also great not having it. Just loading straight into the game is awesome. The memory reference errors are occurring because of Arma not because of the skiplobby. Try defaulting all of your parameter settings in the ArmA 3 Client Launcher. Doing that resolved my memory crashes and many others as well. 

Honestly if you need to take a break just log off. Sitting in the lobby isn't necessary and for servers with high traffic that causes a problem for new players wanting to join and can't because you are afk in the lobby using up a potentially free player slot.

Being sent to the lobby when switching to admin or player is nice but again its not a huge deal because it takes a few moments to reconnect to the server and usually its faster when you log in one time during server uptime and reconnect later before it restarts.  It's new and seems frustrating but in the long run I think everyone will enjoy it. It's like windows 10, people didn't care for it at first but its growing on them with time.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TheHoff_GGA said:

I like the lobby too but its also great not having it. Just loading straight into the game is awesome. The memory reference errors are occurring because of Arma not because of the skiplobby. Try defaulting all of your parameter settings in the ArmA 3 Client Launcher. Doing that resolved my memory crashes and many others as well. 

Honestly if you need to take a break just log off. Sitting in the lobby isn't necessary and for servers with high traffic that causes a problem for new players wanting to join and can't because you are afk in the lobby using up a potentially free player slot.

Being sent to the lobby when switching to admin or player is nice but again its not a huge deal because it takes a few moments to reconnect to the server and usually its faster when you log in one time during server uptime and reconnect later before it restarts.  It's new and seems frustrating but in the long run I think everyone will enjoy it. It's like windows 10, people didn't care for it at first but its growing on them with time.

For me, the memory errors are very rare, but from all the posts I read, people have indicated that skipping the lobby may be contributing to a lot of the memory crashes that people are having. I don't links to the posts where I read this. I have just read that from time to time in the forums. The increase in memory crashes started with 0.9.8, which is also when they removed the lobby.

BEC can be set to kick idlers so idling in the lobby isn't a big deal. Busy servers can set it to a lower time if they want to keep people from idling too long. 

At the very least, it should be a server option. I've played other Arma 3 mods, all of which use a lobby, and have not experienced any memory crashes on those.

28 minutes ago, BetterDeadThanZed said:

For me, the memory errors are very rare, but from all the posts I read, people have indicated that skipping the lobby may be contributing to a lot of the memory crashes that people are having. I don't links to the posts where I read this. I have just read that from time to time in the forums. The increase in memory crashes started with 0.9.8, which is also when they removed the lobby.

BEC can be set to kick idlers so idling in the lobby isn't a big deal. Busy servers can set it to a lower time if they want to keep people from idling too long. 

At the very least, it should be a server option. I've played other Arma 3 mods, all of which use a lobby, and have not experienced any memory crashes on those.

Yea memory crashes suck. helps remind me why I don't play ARMA that often haha. That is a great idea though to at the very least provide the option to have or not have a lobby. That honestly should have been the case to begin with. Give the option to choose which one and then make a final choice based on feed back from both sides. 

Advertisement