LevelXero

Tanoa vs. Chernaurs

7 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

I am working on a personal project trying to make a hardcore horror survival of sorts (zombies, possible anomalies, very DayZ mod feeling). At the moment I am at a loss on whether to continue my work on Chernarus or move to the newer Tanoa. The only issue I see with it as a map is it is a little lacking on military outposts which can be fixed. It has more enterable buildings, more surface area, and it's much prettier in my opinion. But I will always have that unconditional love and feeling of nostalgia on Chernarus.

When I look at player counts, Chernarus is always the top played map for Exile. My question is to those who prefer Chernarus; What do you like about Chernarus? The overall look and feel, layout, nostalgia? And why you don't like Tanoa? Is it the Paywall for the map, don't like jungles, no military locations, too laggy?

Doesn't really matter to me at the moment, but I was curious about why Tanoa lacks in player count and I am looking for something to make my decision on what map to put work into.

in my thoughts cherno would be the go as its the orignal Dayz map and alot of players including myself play on it. the map has a large player area for all too run around like headless chickens also badass for zombies and ai.

Tanoa, all the above what you said, its a nice map fun to play on now and then. Gets really laggy once alot of players and bases are on it, unless you have big money to spend on a badass server, these are my thoughts

Advertisement

I agree with BDTZ.   Esseker has a real good start on a post-apocalyptic horror feel. The closest of all the maps so far.  It does need more things on the north part of the map - especially the northwest.   There's really nothing there in the base map to make people want to go there.

I've been mucking around with a Tanoa server recently but also have a long-standing Chernarus server. With the Open Chernarus project, I think Chernarus now has far more enterable buildings than Tanoa and if you want a post apocalyptic feel, Cherno is much better - as @Crazy Mike said, just throw a heap of crap around the place :)  His server has a great feel to it for Cherno and I've used some of his area to provide my players interesting areas to visit and created my own too.

@BetterDeadThanZed has a great point though - if you can put up with a map that's not finished and has bugs, Esseker is almost impossible to go past for post-apocalyptic wastelands. I played on it for a while (before I was an admin) and ultimately couldn't live with the bugs but I did absolutely love it as a place to play and explore and will return when it's a little closer to finished. (the cars sinking into the ground gave me the absolute shits for those curious)

My thoughts on Tanoa as a map?  Great PvP map due to the forced CQB and the islands encourage the use of more than one type of vehicle etc. I haven't put many hours into Tanoa but it doesn't feel very post-apocalyptic to me as yet.....absolutely beautiful and all the arma 3 "nicities" like the awesome weather effects work perfectly unlike Cherno but not post-apocalyptic IMHO and I doubt just throwing some trash around would make it feel very post-apocalyptic unlike Cherno.

The point @hogansheroes made about a single area to run around on for Cherno is also something to consider - some players don't use vehicles very often so requiring them to own a boat or heli (or amphibious vehicle) to explore areas might not go down well with some players.

• Like 1

I really appreciate the input guys, it really helps! Probably gonna go with Chernarus, just sounds like the best option for what I want to achieve. Esseker is just not filled in enough, I absolutely adore the aesthetic of that map, but the whole south of the map is just roads (I know I can add stuff in, but god damn) and it's just not quite there yet. Also, @BetterDeadThanZed brought up the point of Tanoa being too clean and I agree with that. @Riker2335 you brought up a point I started thinking about as well, Tanoa can be a little too big and spread out. On Chernarus there is a semi-centralized area that every can head to where as all of the military areas on Tanoa are spread out from each other and it encourages too much PvP. Really trying to go with forcing a playstyle where players feel attached to their gear and take fewer risks.

Again, I really appreciate everyone's input, keep an eye out on the forums for updates on my project if you're interested.

Glad to hear we could all be of some help making the decision :) Good luck with the project, there's lots of info on these forums for getting it working properly.

Advertisement