DavieReid88

Server From Home

16 posts in this topic

Another thing to keep in mind is if they have bandwidth caps? It wasn't until 2 years ago my super outdated behind all technology provider lifted their 250GB monthly data cap.

On 2017-2-14 at 0:23 AM, jimmya3 said:

Another thing to keep in mind is if they have bandwidth caps? It wasn't until 2 years ago my super outdated behind all technology provider lifted their 250GB monthly data cap.

Nah, Virgin Media don't on the 200mbps package

200/12, 12 being the upload speed, VM also traffic manage the uploads if you exceed such n such in a short amount of time.

edit: they definitely don't, I've managed to download over a terabyte in a single month

Edited by Major Mittens.

Advertisement

Can i setup a exile test server on my second home pc without using TC admin and no problems?

Edited by Sgt Smash

@Sgt Smash,

My server is a dedicated PC running from home.  I have on it:  Exile, InfiSTAR, BEC, and a slew of batch files to 'mange' it all.

You do not need 'TC Admin' to run a server from home.  'TC Admin' is for people who have REMOTE servers from what I seen.  Per TC Admin:  "...help today’s Game Service Provider save time and money, while allowing end users complete control over their servers..."

You server would be at home with ya!

What I do is I have setup UltraVNC server on my server and the client on my PC and Android phone.  ALL of these are FREE.  UltraVNC does NOT have a 'usage timer' like TeamViewer does.  So, when I check on the Exile server, I just 'connect' to it via UltraVNC.

Again, running from home cost ZERO DOLLARS to do.  You only main concern is what you ISP will think about it...  ;)  I am in the United States and Comcast is the nation's largest ISP, and I am stuck with them, and it is against their policy to run ANY type of server off a 'home connection'.  5 years, never heard a word from them.

Your biggest concern will be with you ISP.

:)

Edited by Z80CPU
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Z80CPU said:

@Sgt Smash,

My server is a dedicated PC running from home.  I have on it:  Exile, InfiSTAR, BEC, and a slew of batch files to 'mange' it all.

You do not need 'TC Admin' to run a server from home.  'TC Admin' is for people who have REMOTE servers from what I seen.  Per TC Admin:  "...help today’s Game Service Provider save time and money, while allowing end users complete control over their servers..."

You server would be at home with ya!

What I do is I have setup UltraVNC server on my server and the client on my PC and Android phone.  ALL of these are FREE.  UltraVNC does NOT have a 'usage timer' like TeamViewer does.  So, when I check on the Exile server, I just 'connect' to it via UltraVNC.

Again, running from home cost ZERO DOLLARS to do.  You only main concern is what you ISP will think about it...  ;)  I am in the United States and Comcast is the nation's largest ISP, and I am stuck with them, and it is against their policy to run ANY type of server off a 'home connection'.  5 years, never heard a word from them.

Your biggest concern will be with you ISP.

:)

Thanks for the info, sounds tempting:D

• Like 1

Advertisement