geekm0nkey

[Concept] Base mover

17 posts in this topic

I'm thinking of writing an external program for exile and wonder a> if there is a need b> if its even possible. What I am thinking of doing is creating a base mover. Say a player wants his base relocated elsewhere, but doesn't want to loose anything or have to rebuild. Maybe an admin wants to build a base and move it.. who knows.. The idea would be to export the territory, construction, container and vehicle tables that contain the territory id of the base.  Now, the table contains the X,Y,Z of the items, as well as the rotation X,Y,Z  Now the coordinate system of the game is simplistic, starts with 0/0 and goes up from there as with chernarus its like 32650/32650 ish..

so how would this work... Well we start with a base built lets say at 7200/7200 (flag position) to be easy.. We then get the coords of where we want the base to be.. lets say moving it north east to 1200/500.. what we would then do is simple math.. 7200-1200 = 6000 and 7200-500 = 6700, so for each and every item in the database we have exported we subtract or add depending on the direction based upon initial starting coords these values.. which will relocate each piece as it is.. Now.. we also have to add/subtract the height from the Z starting to Z finish position. (this may need tweaking if the terrain is not the same.) as for direction.. Sadly this is an impossible change as when you rotate the structure the coords for each part will change.. This is way more math than I care to try and calculate. AS for the basic move math, we only add/subtract whole meter values.. Not the .12321 that follows. For instance.. actual flag may be at 7200.2133 / 7200.32122 we leave everything behind the decimal place alone so as to not effect precise placement of items. I haven't attempted this as its still only a concept and theory.. Someone may very well point out why this would never work, and that's great. That's the purpose of this post to begin with.

So what do you thing? Novel idea? or Pointless?

Oh, you can do this QUITE easy with basic math skills.  HOWEVER, what will happen is this.

For example, a base is built on a hill looking like this:  \

And it is to be moved to a spot where the hill looks like this:  /

Guess what?  It aint gonna work!

I have thought of something like this a long time ago, but with the terrain NOT being the exact same, there would be issues.  Of course, you can try to adjust and rotate for the terrain, even then, it still will not be 'perfect'.  Pooh on that!  WAY too much work to make it worthwhile.

Yes, it CAN be done, but will all the work involved be worth it in the end for a result which will NOT be perfect?

;)

Advertisement

I think it may possible to do. Z80 said if a base is built on a / and you want to move it to a \ it wouldn't really be feasable. But we all know if it's built on a / or \, all the base parts are built _. So it shouldn't really matter where it's moved to. The base parts can then be moved around to fit once moved, no ? They don't follow the terrain so it should be cool to do.

Edited by MetalHead

The problem @MetalHead is, it is not that it can be done, oh, it CAN be done, but the work involved would not be worth the 'payout'.

In my example, if you had stairs going down in the \ example, you could go up and down.

When it gets moved to the / spot, guess what?  The stairs would be now unusable.  ;)  The bottom right would be IN the hill.  You would have to 'mirror' the base to get it to work, but what if there is another 'hill' in the original base that required a set of stairs but the new terrain in that section is all flat?  Whoops!  One problem after another!

This would also apply to ANY building part which has a different height compared to its neighbors.  The BIGGER the terrain difference, the BIGGER the problem will be.

I agree with you Stokes, this would be the easiest function.

What I think would be a BETTER use of resources, would be to select a base, pack it into a locked 'item' including the flag, then allow the player to move this 'locked item' to a new spot.  This way, you can avoid territory checking and the terrain differences.  Then, they just put down their flag as normal then re-construct their base.  Of course, you would have to deduct x amount of cash to do this move.  And reason for locked item is so that is can be placed safely without someone just walking up, opening it, and make off with all your goods.

Using above method would eliminate all issues that I foresaw with 'Base Moving'.  Is this method perfect?  I do not know, as I am too lazy to even begin to work on such a project and think it completely through...  ;)

BUT - YOU CAN MOVE BASES!  IT IS POSSIBLE!  Question is, is it worth the time to do it?

:)

On 3.2.2018 at 5:12 AM, Z80CPU said:

Guess what?  It aint gonna work!

Nope.

On 3.2.2018 at 7:12 PM, Z80CPU said:

it CAN be done, but the work involved would not be worth the 'payout'.

This.

On 3.2.2018 at 1:21 PM, MetalHead said:

They don't follow the terrain so it should be cool to do

And that's the problem, moved to a lower point previous ATL would end in construction stuck in terrain.

On 3.2.2018 at 11:58 PM, The Raging Kerfuffle said:

https://infistar.de/eng/product/infistar-tm

Will allow you to move flags. 

He wanna move the whole base with all constructions, not the flag.

On 2.2.2018 at 7:43 PM, geekm0nkey said:

Pointless?

Yes. Thought bout that plenty times. Cool feature to have indeed for admins/players but..yeh.

Edited by WURSTKETTE

One of the biggest issues you may have is duplicating flags after a restart. I was messing around with a similar concept to this and there would be the new flag where it should be as well as a flag where the old spot was. Didn't care enough to work it out, but clearly there is a fix for it as Chris has proven with is addon for infiSTAR.

With your prior help, it was proven that a base in its entirety, could be extracted, and then replaced with only a .01% loss (had 2 vectored items missing? dunno why?) but otherwise fully functional. What was planned was the same method, extraction, relocation and then re-addition. (with the idea that after initial extraction, that the entries are deleted.) now, the next caveat to this is that the server has to be downed, and all this take place, then restarted, to prevent i believe to be the issue you mentioned.  What would be a stroke of genius would be a way to move the base as a whole, in game.. Say trigger something that make the base disappear, then you move to the desired location, restore (ideally, with the ability to rotate the whole base as one unit.) Doubt that will ever become a reality but again.. This was really just me thinking out loud to get ideas.

Advertisement