Magn

Having a serious problem

Question

Hello Exile community!

Im currently facing a serious issue where players can't enter vehicles, open doors. Well they can, it just takes a very very long time.

Over the past few days i've been trying to fix this issue on my own. But so far haven't found a solution.

I currently use the following mods:

CUP, CUP Vehicles, CUP Terrains Core, CUP Terrains Maps, CUP Weapons, NIARMS, Extended Base Mod. extDB3, Exile, ExileServer, infistar exile with apps and territory management.

I also have DMD_buildingReplacer for Chernarus

I've tried changing the configs to use dynamic simulation instead of normal simulation. I've also tried to change the same with our server objects.

Any help is appriciated!

11 answers to this question

Hello Fock,

What I HAVE SEEN when such happens, is a poor connection with the DB.  The DB MUST be 'consulted' every time, to determine if a door it is locked, unlocked, etc.  If you DB is 'lagging' for ANY reason, ALL players will see this issue.

I suggest you examine connection issues between your Exile server and the DB server.

Could there be other reasons?  Yes, things such as too many programs on the server/DB, virus, etc.

It has been MY EXPERIENCE, that it is a connection issue, such as the Exile server is NOT on the same computer as the DB server, or the DB server is using a 9600 baud MODEM for connections...

ANY of these issues might not show themselves with one or two players, however, the more that are joined, the more impact this has on the play and on the DB.

:)

• Like 1

@Z80CPU

Thanks for the response!

It might be a database issue, since the database is on a virtual private server running ubuntu 16.04, mysql 5.6. I will however change the location to the local server the exile server is running on and see if that helps.

I also recently tried running dynamic simulation for the server and it seem to have helped a little bit with the non-opening doors. As far as the cannot enter vehicles goes, i've got no current reports of it happening.

However thank you for your suggestion! Really appriciate it!

Advertisement

You're welcome!  Do not forget to click the 'Like this' button if you feel that way!  :)

It sounds as you have a few issues going on...the DB being where it is and how it is 'run', I do suspect this is the issue.  It is a known issue and what I would do is to install MySQL onto the Exile server, do NOT delete the other, copy over the DB, the start it up.  If it is NOT the 'DB on another serve', then you have lost nothing but about 30 mins of time for all of this.  So, if you wished to go back to the 'old' DB, all you have to do is change the config file back and copy back the DB!

Do note, I would NOT modify the CURRENT config files point to the current DB, make a copy of the ORIGINAL, then modify the current one.  This way, you will have the CORRECT settings in the config copy, which can make your life a lot easier!

Good luck!

• Like 1

@Z80CPU

I also seem to notice that the exile server is running 5 fps with around 20-40 people on, with about 8000ish objects simulated, is this normal beheviour? I also installed a performance build for the server, which seem to have helped a little.

I have installed a mysql server on the exile server, and will copy everything over today, will give an update when this happens!

Thanks again!

Edited by NoFocksGiven

Hello,

You're more than welcome!

The 5 fps?  Well, this depends on a LOT of things.  Number of objects, RAM, CPU speed, HDD speed, etc.  So there is not a 'simple answer'.  What is true on ANY type of computer OR game is this:  The more objects on screen, the more the computer has to do to show them.

Stupid example:

10 objects = 100 fps

100 objects = 10 fps

It is not unusual to see on epoch or Exile, admins 'whacking' the DB due to this fact.  Exile has 'built-in' features that try to help with that such as automatically deleting bases after a set time, or randomly placed things such as tents.  You can adjust this down so these things 'go away' quicker, but you still come back to issues such as cpu speed and the rest.

This is also why you see people not having 100 slot servers; more players = stronger cpu.

There are a LOT of factors that go into the overall speed of a server...ANY server, not just Exile or ARMA - ANY GAME SERVER.

@Z80CPU

Hey there. It appear most of the lag is gone after changing the database to a local one, but it sometimes still takes a few seconds to open a door. I have sent a ticket to the hosting company about replacing the CPU or upgrade it, as it is a Intel Xeon E3-1240v6.

EDIT 1: nevermind the lag is back, i have a feeling its tied to how the objects are being simulated. 

Edited by NoFocksGiven

Sounds good!  I have noticed (sometimes) that RIGHT AT START, there is a 'lag'.  But after that, there is no more 'lag'.  I chalked that up to the DB not being read yet, thus the delay.  So, if yours does the same, PERSONALLY, I would not worry about it.

Yes, a faster cpu/more RAM most likely take care of that, will it be worth the COST though?  ;)

But it is your server, so you get to decide.

I am glad that the 'bulk' of it has been dealt with!

Edited by Z80CPU
  • Like 1

@Z80CPU

You are like a master compared to me but I have one last question.

You do not know how to fix a black screen when entering a vehicle do you? My players are getting this issue when they enter a vehicle. I've tried different combinations but to no good ):

• Like 1

Hello NoFocksGiven,

While I do appreciate what you said, I am far from a 'master'.  I, like you, started one day knowing nothing and built upon it.  I learned by the same way you are - By asking!  And remember, the ONLY dumb question is the question that is never asked...NEVER forget that!  ;)

Trust me, there are things you can ask me about ARMA scripting and/or Exile that I would not have a clue about.  And there are many more people on here who much more than me.

Regardless, I thank you for your thoughts and opinion!  :)

And no, I do not have a clue about the screen.  I have had this issue as well.  And I THINK it has happened in a SP session as well to me.  What you might do is when you hear this, ask them to give you the name of the vehicle.  For example, it might be 2 types of cars that are in CUP and ONLY those two.  If so, and if you so desired, remove them from the traders and the DB - Problem solved!  And yes, you can save (export) the DB as a text file then use even notepad (if DB is not too big) and do a 'swap and replace' on the affected vehicles, then import the DB back.   Personally, I suspect it being a mod such as CUP or RHS, with the 'weird' vehicles being in those mods.  If you do elect to do the 'swap and replace', make a backup of the DB and TAKE DOWN THE SERVER when importing the 'corrected' file!

Steps:

1 - Take server off-line

2- Make backup of DB

3 - Copy backup DB to some other name/location

4 - Edit DB with swap/replace

5 - Import new DB

6 - Start server

If you do this and get your 'class names' ready to go, you could do steps 1 -> 6 in less than 90 seconds.  It is a quick process.  Do NOT delete the copy of the DB you made in #3!  After a FEW days, THEN you can whack it if you so desire.

But I have had it too, rare and only on certain vehicles - I just ignored it...it's not a big deal to me.  Also, if memory serves me well, it would ONLY do it in first person.  In 3rd person, it did not happen.  Like I said, it is rare and I do not remember it as it being rare.

Thanks for your comment again!

• Like 2

@Z80CPU

Hello Z80CPU, we found our fix, it ended up us changing th CPU for the server, but I don't think a Intel Xeon E-1270v4 could handle all the AI, construction etc. So we eventually switched to a Intel Core I7-7700K instead. I do appriciate the support you have me, and gave a temporary fix with the Database. We now have changed from the normal simulation to Dynamic Simulation with no problems. 

Again thanks for your help!

Advertisement