Sign in to follow this  
jazkalol

Stuttering while driving vehicles

Question

Hello,

So I recently started playing exile again, was playing with a friend and tried to drive a car, which ended up being really really hard... basically when I get to speed above 40 km/h or so, my sounds start going really ''Crackling'' or so.. then fps freezes really low for a few seconds, then it runs fine for 5 seconds and freezes again, never happens when running or doing anything outside vehicles.

I will provide any information asked if possible

Thanks for help!

13 answers to this question

Hello Jazkalol,

This COULD be 'rubber banding', a sync issue.

Stupid Example:

Your 'speed' is 100 and your rider's is 50.  You travel 100m while your rider has only traveled 50m.  So, you have to WAIT till he goes 100m, THEN you start moving again, that is, till you are 50m ahead of him again, now you have to wait AGAIN.

This is most likely what is going on.

Usual sources are:

Server's speed and internet connection

Your internet connection

Your rider's connection

Someone might be using a 'lag switch'

You can test to a degree by just YOU being in the car.  I suspect you will find everything to be 'ok' in that case.  If not, I would look at defragging your HDD IF IT IS A TRADITIONAL HDD!  If it is a SSD, do NOT defrag!

Also, remember, when you have 'issues', hop onto another server and see if the issue 'follows' you.  If it does, then it is on YOUR end.  If not, then it is on that SERVER's end.  ;)

Solution?  Not too much sadly outside the two things I listed.

:(

1 hour ago, Z80CPU said:

Hello Jazkalol,

This COULD be 'rubber banding', a sync issue.

Stupid Example:

Your 'speed' is 100 and your rider's is 50.  You travel 100m while your rider has only traveled 50m.  So, you have to WAIT till he goes 100m, THEN you start moving again, that is, till you are 50m ahead of him again, now you have to wait AGAIN.

This is most likely what is going on.

Usual sources are:

Server's speed and internet connection

Your internet connection

Your rider's connection

Someone might be using a 'lag switch'

You can test to a degree by just YOU being in the car.  I suspect you will find everything to be 'ok' in that case.  If not, I would look at defragging your HDD IF IT IS A TRADITIONAL HDD!  If it is a SSD, do NOT defrag!

Also, remember, when you have 'issues', hop onto another server and see if the issue 'follows' you.  If it does, then it is on YOUR end.  If not, then it is on that SERVER's end.  ;)

Solution?  Not too much sadly outside the two things I listed.

:(

I have ssd, all the mods and the game is in the ssd.

Tried driving alone, ping aswell seems stable.

Trying on another server right now!

Thanks so far!

Advertisement

i have had this happen to myself and others i play with. its not desync, its like the 3fps bug but only in vehicles. sometimes opening the map would fix it, other times going first person would fix it. in the end it just stopped happening, never found a cause or a cure. 

De-sync CAN cause this as one player is further along in the game than the other.

@GolovaRaoul - Think about what you said.  If I traveled 100m and there was a building at 50m, and I went thru it, this equates to de-sync.  So, if it did the EXACT same thing except this time, there is NO building at 50m, this is NOT de-sync???  No, it would be.  Buildings has absolutely nothing to do with de-sync excpet provide a 'visual clue' of it happening.  De-sync is when players/server are not on the 'same clock with the same time', thus the phrase 'de-sync'.  You're correct about the sound though.  De-sync has nothing to do with this.  If you noticed, I never addressed the cracking sound.  The most common 'visual sign' of de-sync is termed 'rubberbanding'.  Where you are at 100m and your buddy is at 50m.  You 'snap back' to the 50m mark because that is where your buddy is.

@dekela - Hmm...to quote you:  "...its not desync...", then you state "...never found a cause..."  Huh?  How can you say it is NOT de-sync then turn right around and say you have no clue what the cause was?  If you read the post below, you see the author talks about people BEING ON FOOT.  De-sync in ARMA does show itself most times in vehicles.  Stop and think, are you telling us that you can detect an 1 millisecond de-sync with players on foot and an 1 second de-sync in vehicles?  Really?  Bottom line, you saw it and it went away - PERIOD.  And if it is an internet/server/player issue, it CAN just 'disappear' out of the blue.  The faster an object moves, the bigger the de-sync will be.  THIS is why is usually shows in vehicles MOVING and not when vehicles are 'standing still'.

His 'car' issues are most likely DE-SYNC.  Thus, why you see in my original post the word 'COULD'.  I NEVER stated it WAS the issue.  One is an opinion, such as mine and @GolovaRaoul's responses versus a 'fact' being pushed as @dekela did.

Anybody that played BF4 when it first came out also would know what 'de-sync' is, for it was riddled with this issue.  And this was with the players being ON FOOT.

If you watch any ARMA MP videos like on YouTube or Twitch, you can see GROUND players observing de-syn when planes/helis fly overhead.  ARMA's code is kinda crappy.

Ever notice how it happens in ARMA but not in GTA5, COD, or BF4/1???  I wonder why...  ;)

Here is a better and fuller explanation of de-sync:  https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/175363

Lag Switches ALSO can cause this - See HERE

Netcode is another likely cause and ARMA has 'issues' with it as well:  See HERE

;)

Edited by Z80CPU

Hi, I didn't have the time to test it too much yesterday but I went to editor today and tested it there.

Recorded a video what exactly happens and so on

So its not a serverside issue, something is wrong in my game right now

5 hours ago, GolovaRaoul said:

Sound cracking is not a de sync issue as far as I know. Warping is/riding through buildings. Maybe your running low on RAM/VRAM?

Ram 6,2/8 Gb jumps inbetween 76% and 78%

Vram about 10 to 40% (jumping in between smoothly) of the Vram used (4 Gb vram)

cpu runs 4,07 Ghz using 20 to 45% maximum 

during the freezes it stays stable doesn't jump down or up at all. (other than how it does during no freezes)

Edited by jazkalol

@Z80CPU in 6300 hours of arma I have not seen desync act in this way, but that is my humble opinion, I don't claim to be an expert. However given it happens in the editor, I think we can rule out desync. 

Crackling sound may indicate audio driver issue, maybe try updating. 

@dekela, the sound, I agree.  The freezing, it has happened a few times to me during my 10,000+ hours in ARMA 3  ;)

I would be in a heli as a passenger, then it would freeze for about 2 seconds, then return with me jumping several hundred meters ahead.

And I also do not profess to be an 'expert', thus the statement "...This COULD be 'rubber banding', a sync issue...", for I am not 100% sure either.  I do know that de-sync CAN cause this issue, but so can other things too, thus the statement "...Usual sources...", usual, not the ONLY sources.  There are a lot of factors that can cause his type of issue, and, based on the freeze then unfreeze, it COULD be de-sync.

BUT, he did not provide any video and you notice I did suggest him to try some other things and he did and provided the video - And you're correct, this is 100% NOT de-sync!  ;)

@jazkalol- You do have an issue.  Some standard things to try:

You did not say yes or no, but repeat test with NO mods loaded

Remove any 'tweaks/overclocking' you have in use on ANY board  (Most BIOS will let you save your settings - Do so!)

Re-install ARMA

Update Video driver

Update Windows

Use some program such as Razor Cortex to kill background programs which can cause 'freezes' (it is free)

If you have multiple HDD's put your swap file on a DIFFERENT HDD than what ARMA is on. - PHYSICAL REAL 2nd HDD!

Not too much else to say except if the above do not work, I would suggest scanning for any virus or malware.

The sound issue MAY be related (example, bad system board).  It also MAY be caused by USB drivers.  For a period of time, some USB speakers/mics did not 'work so well' with Windows.  Do not think that you do not have a HW issue.  Years ago, I have a bad system board that would ONLY fail on Fly! (flight sim) and Internet Explorer.  MS Flight Sim would work perfect, Fly! would crash.  I swapped the system board and it never happened again!  You could try disabling your sound card and repeat the ARMA test.  If it works, turn enable sound again and repeat.

Good luck!

:)

Edited by Z80CPU

I had an issue once, screen would freeze for a second and audio would buzz briefly, would happen randomly and every few seconds. Triedbecery driver, uninstall reinstall, every Google answer. In the end I found the issue was my HDMI cable would occasionally move and touch against a power cable, causing thebfreez/buzz. So as Z80CPU has pointed out, many things to try. Also,  32 or 64 bit arma? And have you tried swapping between the two. Also can try reducing sound samples within arma settings. 

Advertisement