Razor77

File Patching

Question

Hi

We have had a few issues on one of the servers recently and i was going through the files and settings and noticed i have allowfilepatching disabled, is this correct or should it be enabled? (We do run extra scripts and mods not a vanilla server)  Tried searching but not getting any info on this topic. 

Thanks Razor 

7 answers to this question

5 hours ago, Razor77 said:

Hi

We have had a few issues on one of the servers recently and i was going through the files and settings and noticed i have allowfilepatching disabled, is this correct or should it be enabled? (We do run extra scripts and mods not a vanilla server)  Tried searching but not getting any info on this topic. 

Thanks Razor 

DO NOT ENABLE allowedFilePatching ...

infiSTAR blocks this on clients... but this will make a huge security risk and will allow people to steal ANYTHING from your server, configs, passwords, etc.... 

File patching is the ability for the engine to load local scripts and other files to override versions in packed addons. Without file patching, the game only loads data from PBO and EBO files. The technique is used by developers and modders to quickly iterate on their work, but also by exploits in multiplayer.

• Like 2

Advertisement
4 hours ago, StokesMagee said:

DO NOT ENABLE allowedFilePatching ...

infiSTAR blocks this on clients... but this will make a huge security risk and will allow people to steal ANYTHING from your server, configs, passwords, etc.... 

File patching is the ability for the engine to load local scripts and other files to override versions in packed addons. Without file patching, the game only loads data from PBO and EBO files. The technique is used by developers and modders to quickly iterate on their work, but also by exploits in multiplayer.

Thank you for the reply and the Information about this, appreciated. 

It does not really "permit cheating", it just allows people to steal things, IF they can manage to get code to execute on the server... but that's not hard at all...

• Like 1

Well...I think some would consider that debatable.  Some would also consider stealing to be a 'form of cheating' as it gives a player an unfair advantage over other players that is not intended.

Regardless, it allows 'things' to happen that should not.  Like leaving a door open, you never know what will come in...

Again, I am trying to 'keep it simple' for those who might not understand the intricate mannerisms of ARMA and its scripting, which can be 'interesting' at most times...

And your skills @StokesMagee, are beyond my ability.

:)

• Like 1

Advertisement