sandy4596

Incapable of adding scripts

Question

I've pursued this in another thread, but figured that I would ask it in it's own thread, in case anyone else has the same issue. I'm seemingly incapable of getting any script working on my server. I've customized everything to near perfection, and at the moment, all I need to do is add some quality of life scripts. With my eyes set on advance towing (haven't attempted yet) and the crate loading script from kuplion, I've wasted about a week trying to get this stuff working. Before this point, I had tried to add a status bar to the server, but couldn't get it to work, so I moved to a different one. The problem at the time, from what I could guess, was that it simply wasn't being executed in the initplayerlocal.sqf . But since I was able to find a way around it, I didn't care. My next change, came in the form of adding a few lines to force the view distance on the server, which I added to the initplayerlocal.sqf. However, this worked. The change which came afterwards, was adding the crate loading script. I followed the instructions, and added the line explained, to the initplayerlocal.sqf, just below the server distance lines. Not only did the line for the crate loading not work, but the server view distance lines stopped working. I tried swapping places with the two, thinking that the file was simply loading whatever was placed last, and both still didn't work. It was suggested that something was keeping anything past a certain point in the file, from working. My file is as shown.  https://pastebin.com/jY728HvJ

I've edited pbos and stuff for some time now, so values and stuff are my game. But this time around, it was my time to actually own the server, so I bought a dedicated box. With absolutely no idea what I was doing, and with only a bit of guidance, I setup the back end stuff to run the server, and worked it from the ground up, but I still by no means understand anything past editing values. I don't understand database stuff, or how these lines interact with files (aside from the obvious, this line tells the server to run this file). So trouble shooting this stuff is an absolute nightmare. Any and all help is appreciated, though I'm getting to the point where I simply want to pay someone to finish up the server.

4 answers to this question

Hello @sandy4596,

Sadly, there is no 'one answer' for you.  There could be literally hundreds of reasons why you're having issues.

Does ARMA have FULL access to the folder in which the mod is located?

Are the mods installed in folders that other files expect the mod to be there?

Are you using the most UP-TO-DATE version of these scripts?

Are you following EXACTLY the instructions provided?

Are ARMA and Exile the MOST CURRENT versions?

Are these scripts for/designed for Exile?

These are but a few questions you need to ask yourself.  Without us basically setting up your server for you, we can not say 'it is this' or 'it is that'.

This is what I would suggest:

#1 - Get the DEFAULT Exile server running PERFECTLY

#2 - BACK IT UP and VERIFY IT!

#3 - Add ONE SCRIPT AT A TIME ACCORDING TO DIRECTIONS!

#4 - Start server and TEST!

#5A - If #4 passed and is working, make an NEW BACK-UP and VERIFY IT!  Do NOT delete the old one(s)!

#5B- If #4 failed, restore back-up from #2, then go to step #3

#6 - If test passed, go to step #3

Once finished, make one last back-up, verify the back-up, then delete the old back-ups.  Take the newly created back-up and make a copy of it and put this copied back-up on ANOTHER COMPUTER!

This is what you have to do.  Some people will add several scripts at a time and without making any back-ups only to find out that stuff does not work.

Work smarter, not harder!

:)

1 person likes this

Howdles. To go in order, the server works perfectly fine, and everything is done, except for these scripts, like mentioned. I only apply one change at a time.

Advertisement

Then it is one or more of the things that I listed that can cause such a failure.  I can not think of any other reason that what was listed.

:(

Compare reports, when it works, then not working. Post your results.

Advertisement