Sign in to follow this  
NeverAgain

RangeFinder

Question

Hello i have problem with rangefinder...he wont show distance after i use key T...

controls > weapon > laser distance > T

Please help..thanks

Edited by NeverAgain

10 answers to this question

48 minutes ago, Z80CPU said:

You need a battery!

Is this something unique to the hardcore mode or the likes?  I have not had a requirement to have a battery on me on my own server...

Advertisement

BY DEFAULT, ARMA requires it.  Do mods that MODIFY the NORMAL DEFAULT behavior require it?  That I can not answer.

Thus, my reply.  DEFAULT ARMA requires a battery.

I will check on my server today and see if this is the case.  It is ALSO possible that within the Exile code that a battery is automatically added and you have some how disabled that function or you have some mod doing this.

See:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/107410/discussions/0/627456486466782003/

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Arma_3_CfgMagazines#Laserbatteries   (Search For 'Laserbatteries' on this page)

Edited by Z80CPU

OK, then Exile must be 'adding them' as default ARMA requires them as shown by the last link provided.  What you CAN do, is to go to you profile folders and copy ALL 3 profile files to some other folder, then DELETE THEM from the original folder.

As it has been a while, to make things SIMPLE, when it asks for a name, use the SAME one as you had.  This means you will have to deal with ONLY ONE PROFILE FOLDER.  You do NOT have to do this, but it will make the following EASIER for you...  :)

Then start ARMA, go to the SP editor, put down ANY unit, start the game.  Then open up you key settings and see where the DEFAULT 'lase target' key is assigned to.  Once you find 'lase target = t' (or whatever it is), exit ARMA, go back to your profile folder, DELETE the newly created files and RESTORE/COPY back the ones you made in the beginning.

THEN start ARMA, repeat the above with the editor and find the 'lase target' in your key settings and you will SEE what key you have assigned it too.

:)

As @MGTDB had posted, and as I was creating my last post saying pretty much the same thing, he posted.

BUT, I did go in and check just now between my last post and this one.  ALL ALLOWED LASER DESOGNATORS DO NOT REQUIRE BATTERIES.

This means Exile has 'done something' with that requirement that disables the DEFAULT behavior of said devices.

So, if it is NOT working for you, then it leaves THREE POSSIBLE OPTIONS ONLY:

#1 - It has been disabled by some script.

#2 - You're using something that you THINK is a Laser Designator, but is not.

#3 - You're using the WRONG KEY to 'activate it'.

MOST LIKELY as I have seen this before, it is #3 that is the issue.

:)

Edited by Z80CPU

I'm pretty sure that batteries are only needed to use the lase option of the designator not for showing range. By this I mean the beam fired when pressing your shoot key while using deignators

You are correct @dekela.  This what he was wanting to do, lase a target.  However, this is how the distance is determined.  A laser beam is emitted and reflects off the object in question.  Using math, it determines the distance of said object.  No batteries, no laser, no distance measuring.

See:  http://www.transcat.com/media/pdf/cordex-laser-distance-meters.pdf

In this case as I have seen this before, though a long time back, I think he 'forgot' what his lase key was set to.  For example, mine is 'L'.

I done this with many keys over the life of ARMA...it happens...

;)

Advertisement