Sign in to follow this  
Knocks

InfiSTAR blocking “Hint”?

Question

Trying to fix an issue with FuMS, I’ve come across an issue I need help with.  It seems like “hint” text is only being displayed on the map screen.  For example, in the missions system, this is set up in the local client 

Spoiler

"FuMS_GlobalHint" addPublicVariableEventHandler
{
    private ["_GHint"];
    _GHint = _this select 1;
    hint parseText format["%1", _GHint];
};

On the headless client, this code runs.  If you are looking at the maps, you see the announcements.  Otherwise, nothing.  I’ve tried several basic “hint” commands and it seems like this is true of anything sent to the console via “hint”.  (Ex. Hint “hello”; doesn’t work either.  Is this a setting I need to change? Or am I missing something?

HC code

Spoiler

_ogjstr = "";
        if (count _msnText >0) then {_ogjstr = format ["<t align='center' size='2.0' color='#f29420'>%1</t>",_msnText select 0];};
        if (count _msnText >1) then {_ogjstr = format ["%1<br /><t size='1.10' color='#f22b20'>%2</t>",_ogjstr,_msnText select 1];};
        _ogjstr =  format ["%1<br />__________", _ogjstr];
        if (count _msnText >2) then {_ogjstr = format["%1<br /><t size='1.25' color='#ffff00'>%2</t>",_ogjstr, _msnText select 2];};
    FuMS_GlobalHint = _ogjstr;
    publicVariable "FuMS_GlobalHint";  

Example _msntext

Spoiler

"Sniper's Have Been Spotted!",
    "A Small Patrol Was Spotted",
    "You have our permission to confiscate any property you find as payment for eliminating the threat!."

Edited by Knocks

3 answers to this question

Hello @Knocks,

I know this to be true too.  I have also attempted to use a console 'hint' and it also failed.  As I am not an expert in IS, I do know that IS is 'blocking' such some how.  BUT, if I remember, the chat commands WILL work.  And that is what I had to do.  instead of 'hint', I used 'systemchat'.  I THINK it worked, but do not remember.

What you COULD try is to use the Exile method of 'hint's instead as it is already 'cleared' by IS.  That might (and should I think) work.

:)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Z80CPU said:

Hello @Knocks,

I know this to be true too.  I have also attempted to use a console 'hint' and it also failed.  As I am not an expert in IS, I do know that IS is 'blocking' such some how.  BUT, if I remember, the chat commands WILL work.  And that is what I had to do.  instead of 'hint', I used 'systemchat'.  I THINK it worked, but do not remember.

What you COULD try is to use the Exile method of 'hint's instead as it is already 'cleared' by IS.  That might (and should I think) work.

Thanks @Z80CPU, that’s what I’ve done in the mean time to get some alerts, but of course those don’t respond to color codes, sizes, etc.  better than nothing for now.  The good thing is think I figured out how to get toasts working from a HC so I’m adding that today to see.  If that’s works, I’ll drop this old notification method.

Can you let me know what’s you mean by “Exiles method of ‘hints’ “?  I’m Interested...

Edited by Knocks

You're welcome!

What I meant by the 'Exile method' is using what they term 'Toast Notifications'.  This is where all Exile messages come from.  You see a pretty box in the upper left hand part of your screen.  Other scripts can AND do use this as well.

While I have never done it, all you have to do is look at other scripts on how they do it and copy that method.

Here is one script that states it uses them: 

Good luck!

Advertisement