SwissArmy1984

Where can I modify the combat engagement max distance of AI?

Question

Hi!

We've noticed on our Exile server that the AI, no matter what weapons they individually have, do NOT shoot/engage players beyond 750 meters.   We've looked through the Exile files and cannot find anything that creates this limit.  AI, for example with a sniper with a Lynx and LRPS scope, should definitely engage targets at much longer distances, certainly beyond 750 meters.

Does anyone know where Exile puts this limit and how to change it?

Thanks.

20 answers to this question

Further clarification: We ran the server without DMS or any other mods,  just Exile and Infistar.  We have three servers with the following maps: Rosche, Tanoa, and Lythium.  The same problem occurs on all three.  Infistar has nothing to do with AI, so the limitation must be coming from Exile.

Advertisement

3 hours ago, SwissArmy1984 said:

Further clarification: We ran the server without DMS or any other mods,  just Exile and Infistar.  We have three servers with the following maps: Rosche, Tanoa, and Lythium.  The same problem occurs on all three.  Infistar has nothing to do with AI, so the limitation must be coming from Exile.

I feel this is part of the skill level of the AI themselves. 

The better they are at "spotting" the farter out they will snatch a fool by the neck. 

Looking in VEMF (I realize you don't utilize this as you said) I see these lines

class Hardcore { accuracy = 0.4; aimingShake = 0.20; aimingSpeed = 0.3; endurance = 0.25; spotDistance = 0.5; spotTime = 0.85; courage = 1; reloadSpeed = 0.3; commanding = 1; general = 0.7; };

spotDistance = 0.5;

Maybe check out how he's configured this? 

Credit for GITHub taht I found:  @IT07 
https://github.com/IT07/a3_vemf_reloaded 

We've looked into the spotDistance setting in AISkills.  Unfortunately, it has nothing to do with this hard block at 750 meters.  We've set the AISkills to 1, and there is no change.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, SwissArmy1984 said:

We've looked into the spotDistance setting in AISkills.  Unfortunately, it has nothing to do with this hard block at 750 meters.  We've set the AISkills to 1, and there is no change.

Hmm - Then I think I am out of thoughts. 

I know one thing is for sure... I had an Australia server where AI would shoot you dead from one edge of the salt flats to almost the middle.

We had a player with a base in the middle. Im going to guesstimate it was 1100m.

He complained and we had to move the mission. He was losing lots of vehicles and could not face west and build twice a server cycle LOL …. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, SwissArmy1984 said:

@GamersRoost  What mods were you using?  Were you using Infistar?

We had soooooo many more than we should have but here is ones that maybe affected it. 

I also realize some of these should not work together. We hacked up lots of stuff to get it all working and were always shocked when it did. Here goes. 

**EDIT** 

we were running Infistar yes.

Zupa's capture points - but VERY heavy customized

VEMF with headless client (HC2) 

A3Xai With Headless (HC1) (40 ish AI ramping to around 70 at capacity (50 players)

DMS / Occupation but only for the taxis and air transport

The A3Xai was the missions that would literally rip a hole through you or miss and it was like THUD 4...3...2....1 SNAP SNAP. They were a ways away. Missed very rarely. 

If I can expand on anything let me know. Im trying to live a Tl Dr; life. 

Edited by GamersRoost
infistar

There is NOTHING in the Default Exile that controls this.  Stop and think, AI are NOT IN EXILE!  (minus the traders).

TYPICALLY, these settings AND OTHERS are set by the SKILL SETTING as some have mentioned.  THIS is where you need to be looking.

I have seen AI shoot people 1k away with NO ISSUE.

This is controlled by ARMA/mods/scripts and not Exile.

You need to examine EVERY non-Exile script and see what it is set at and IF these are adjusted ON THE FLY, which some do.

I would recommend you read this:

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Arma_3_AI_Skill

The above article has all you need to know on this subject!

:)

• Like 3

@Z80CPU's right, this is an ARMA AI difficulty setting. I can get fairly close to a tier 1 DMS mission and not get shot at but if you're dealing with a tier 4 (black) mission, they'll engage at 1800 with an LRPS scoped sniper if you give them an excuse. There's definitely a setting there, I just don't know where.

• Like 3

@Riker2335 - 1800m????  hahahahaha  I forgot about those guys!  ;)

The settings are there.  What I would do is to use a program like 'TextCrawler' to search every file for the AI settings such as 'aimingAccuracy'.

IF I remember correctly, I can ALSO use an 'array' to set this.  In this case it would look like AI_Settings = ("1, .7, .24, 78, etc), then you would use the variable 'AI_Settings' to set the AI all at once.  I would have to look up the proper use of that array....and I just did.

Here are some pages on the 'who, what, and why'.  Either the method I listed above will be in use OR this method listed here.  There are NO OTHER means.

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/setSkill

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/BIS_fnc_spawnGroup

https://forums.bohemia.net/forums/topic/158115-ai-skill-array/

:)

Edited by Z80CPU
  • Thanks 1

Advertisement